Brokers must obtain certification before they can assist a group in SHOP.
In order to become an Authorized Producer, you must:
- Hold an active Insurance Producer license with the “Health” Line of Authority issued by the Maryland Insurance Administration. This can be a Resident or a Non-Resident license.
- Maintain Errors & Omissions insurance that covers your activities as a Health Insurance Producer. You must supply evidence of this coverage to MHBE.
- Complete the Application for Producer Authorization.
- Sign and submit required forms – the Non-Exchanged Entity Privacy and Security Agreement and the Maryland Health Connection of Producer Authorization. Go to the Producer Authorization Form.
- Complete the required training.
Once you have completed all these items, you will receive a Producer Authorization Letter and an email with your Maryland Health Connection login details.
BenefitMall provides or Broker partners with a personalized Broker Workspace. Inside the Workspace is our Client Ready Quote System® – The foremost quoting and proposal tool for small group benefits. Our Client Ready Quote System (CRQS 2.0) offers leading technology and robust carrier content. Side-by-side comparison reporting, real-time searches and rating, customizable “favorite” lists and market-recommended plans and iPad compatibility are just a few of its features. BenefitMall has now added Maryland Exchange filters to provide Employer Choice and Employee Choice quoting. See more at Broker Workspace.
BenefitMall has always worked exclusively through the Broker community to support their clients with our Third Party Administration (TPA) billing and enrollment services. Under SHOP, small businesses are not required, but we recommend using these licensed professionals who have the knowledge and experience to guide you through the process of selecting a health plan that works for your business.
Employers can work with a SHOP-authorized broker to assist with the purchase of a SHOP plan. To see a list of authorized producers, click here.
Maryland’s Small Business Health Options Program (SHOP) is now open to businesses with 50 or fewer full-time-equivalent employees. BenefitMall is a Shop Administrator who can:
- Assist you with selecting a SHOP-authorized broker to provide guidance, expertise and support in making the best health insurance decisions for your employees and your budget
- Process your eligibility application to see if your small business can enroll in the SHOP
- Provide your business with easy administration of your health insurance such as adding or dropping employees and different ways to pay your single monthly bill
- Manage the new hire and open enrollment process to notify you and your employees of any approaching deadlines.
- Provide daily customer service support services to answer any questions you may have regarding an enrollment, termination, premium invoice or the administrative guidelines of your SHOP plan
In addition to the resources above, you can use BenefitMall’s Compliance tool called allCheck™ to determine the number of Full-time Equivalent (FTE) employees.
Please click here to know more about your eligibility and the process involved.